Around most of the country, September is the end of tomato-growing season. There is nothing like the taste of locally grown tomatoes, so here’s a recipe to use the last of those ‘in-season’ beauties to make a fresh & flavorful tomato inspired pizza in your Pizza & More oven.
This Caprese Pizza recipe, popping with flavor, is a fantastic way to enjoy fresh tomatoes.
- 1 10 ounce homemade or store-bought pizza dough
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup multi-colored grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 10-12 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste
- 1 bunch (about 14-16 leaves) fresh basil
- 1 ounce shredded Asiago cheese
- red pepper flakes
- drizzle of quality olive oil
- drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar
- Roll out or stretch raw dough to fit Pizza & More pan.
- Poke holes in crust using a toothpick or plastic fork to prevent air pockets from forming.
- Bake crust in Pizza & More oven until it is mostly browned, but still can allow for 3-5 minutes of cooking without being too cooked.
- while crust is baking, slice tomatoes into small bite-sized pieces. Drain as many of the seeds and liquid as you can.
- Remove from Pizza & More oven and brush with pesto, leaving a 1 inch crust. Top with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Return to Pizza & More oven and bake for additional 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted to your liking.
- Garnish with chopped fresh basil, red pepper flakes, Asiago cheese, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Slice and serve warm.
Chef Paja-Dejur Sanchez
Watch the Video: