OK… it’s September, and I am officially excited for fall! Pumpkin spiced everything, crisp air, excited children, turkey dinners, leaves changing color, sweaters, boots, and pies… especially apple!
Luckily, apples have been in season since late August, peaking in October and November and lasting through the end of winter. Nothing says fall to me more than apple desserts.
This recipe for Butterscotch Apple Puff Pastry Tartlets is so easy to make in your Ronco Pizza & More oven (This is what we mean by MORE!) They are so cute and elegant, but take such little time and effort so you can serve up a restaurant quality dessert at home in no time.
Baking a dessert like this in your Pizza & More oven allows you to keep an eye on them while they’re cooking. This way, you can avoid those “uh oh” moments when you realize you allowed them to cook just a bit too long in the oven.
Butterscotch Apple Puff Pastry Tartlets
- 1 large Pink Lady Apple
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 sheet of store-bought puff pastry dough, (We used Wewalka Puff Pastry Dough)
- 1-2 tablespoons all-purpose flour for dusting work surface
- 1 tablespoon melted, salted butter
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, and flour. Using your hand mixer on medium speed, beat to incorporate ingredients until cream cheese mixture is smooth and mostly lump free. Scrape the sides of the bowl so all of the cream cheese filling mixture is incorporated.
- Add egg to cream cheese mixture and beat on low for about 20 seconds to incorporate egg. Set aside mixture.
- Dust a work surface with a few tablespoons of flour. Roll out thawed puff pastry sheet onto floured surface.
- Using a sharp utility knife cut the puff pastry into 4 equal squares.
- Turn up the edges of each square to form a crust for your tartlets.
- Slice your apple in half lengthwise and use your paring knife to remove seeds and stem. Slice apple into thin 1/4 inch slices. I used my Veg-O-Matic Deluxe with the thin slicing blade attached to get the perfectly sized apple slices.
- Toss apples with lemon juice and sugar.
- Now, its time to assemble your tartlets. Spoon equal portions of cream cheese mixture into puff pastry shells. Top with apple slices in a thin circular layer.
- Brush apples and exposed top crust of puff pastry with butter and place into your Pizza & More oven.
- Set timer for 25 minutes. Tartlets will take 20-25 minutes to cook. They are done when the cream cheese mixture looks set and the puff pastry is browned to your liking. *** When you think that your tartlets are almost ready, sprinkle the butterscotch chips onto the top of the tartlets as the Pizza & More oven tray rotates.
Allow to cool slightly and serve warm topped with whipped cream or ice cream.
Chef Paja-Dejur Sanchez