Tomato season is finally here! The great thing about in-season fruits and vegetables is that they are simultaneously at their peak flavor and lowest price, making it a great time to stock up and dehydrate some for later! And of course, there are those who grow their own and are left with 500,000 tomatoes… not knowing how to use them.
Using your Ronco Dehydrator is a great way to make sun-dried tomatoes with those extra tomatoes you’ve got lying around. Dehydrating is easier, much faster, and more sanitary than actually sun-drying tomatoes. Not to mention the price of a jar of sun-dried tomatoes from the grocery store!!
Sun-dried tomatoes are fantastic in all kids of recipes; pastas, pizzas, salads, appetizers or on toast with a little goat cheese and fresh herbs!
To make your own sun-dried tomatoes in a Ronco Dehydrator:
1. Slice your tomatoes in halves, quarters or slices. I prefer halves.
2. Scoop out most of the seeds to help facilitate the drying process. If you want to season them with some salt, pepper or herbs, that is always nice.
3. Place cut tomatoes onto dehydrator tray and dehydrate for 6-12 hours. Rotate trays every few hours to dry evenly.
4. Watch for your tomatoes to be dried to your liking. Different varietals of tomato have more liquid and are different sizes, so the best way to know if they are done is to check up in on them.
5. Store your sun-dried tomatoes in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. If you want to add olive oil and garlic, that’s always delicious as well!
Use your sun-dried tomatoes in your favorite recipes.
Chef Paja-Dejur Sanchez