The best thing about owning a Ronco Rotisserie is discovering the diversity of rotisserie chicken flavors. Typically, you can find 4-5 standard flavors of rotisserie chicken at the store… but when you make it at home, you can travel the culinary globe! Try Chinese Five Spiced Rotisserie Chicken, Cuban Mojo Chicken or this recipe for Moroccan Spiced Chicken. This recipe is inspired by the quintessential spice markets of Morocco… where the aromas of ginger, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, saffron and others are sure to excite your appetite.
Moroccan Spiced Chicken
- 1 5-7 pound roasting Chicken
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Unwrap chicken, remove any innards included in the cavity and trim off neck fat and tail if desired. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season both sides with 1-1 1/2 teaspoon of kosher or sea salt and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight. (This step gives the chicken a light brine and drys out the skin for crispier skin.)
- Mix together all spices for the Moroccan Spice Blend in small bowl and whisk to blend. (Alternately mix together spice blend in mason jar and mix by shaking with lid on… this way you can store any unused spice mix.)
- To cook, remove chicken from refrigerator, pat dry with paper towels and truss the legs and wings of the chicken.
- Generously season breast and back of chicken with Moroccan Spice Rub and allow to sit on the counter top for about 30 minutes to warm slightly and to marinate in the spice rub.
- Place chicken onto Ronco Rotisserie spit and roast in Showtime Rotisserie for 15 minutes per pound.
- Serving suggestions: serve chicken with raisin couscous to make this a Moroccan dinner feast!
Chef Paja-Dejur Sanchez