This stuffed burger recipe is the perfect pairing for your Memorial Day weekend! Plus, you can trim the fat by grilling them vertically in our Ronco Ready Grill.
Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onion Stuffed Burgers
- 2 medium sized yellow or white onions
- 2-tablespoons olive oil
- 2-tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1.5 lbs. ground chuck
- ¼ cup plain bread crumbs
- ½ cup very hot water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons crumbles blue cheese
- Begin by caramelizing onions. Remove onion skins and thinly slice onions. Separate onion slices into individual pieces.
- Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter to sauté pan. Heat over medium high heat to melt butter. Add sliced onions, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoons granulated white sugar and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook onions over medium heat for 20 minutes or until a nice deep caramel brown color, stirring occasionally, careful not to burn onions
- While onions are cooking prepare the burgers. In a large mixing bowl combine ¼ cup plain breadcrumbs and ½ cup very hot water. Mix water and breadcrumbs together to make paste. Add to paste 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, 2 tablespoons ketchup. Stir well to incorporate all ingredients.
- With hands mix in the ground round to the seasonings. Completely mix all ingredients together but do not over work the meat. With hands make 8 equal sixed ½ inch patties
- In all 8 of the patties make a golf ball sized indentation right in the middle of the burgers. (Careful not to indent the meat all the way through to create a hole.) Fill the indentation with 1 tablespoon of blue cheese and 2 tablespoons of caramelized onions. Top the filled burgers with the other 4 patties. Pinch together the sides of the burgers to completely close the gap between the top and bottom burger. Preheat your Ready Grill 3-4 minutes, and then grill in Ready Grill for 18-20 Minutes. Serve with your favorite condiments.
Chef Paja-Dejur Sanchez