If you’re familiar with Ronco products, you may remember our original Veg-o-Matic from the 70’s. The Veg-o-Matic Deluxe is just as fantastic as the original, only now it has a convenient catch container to hold your food… plus additional cutting blades for more variety. The Veg-o-Matic Deluxe takes a fraction of the time compared to chopping with a knife which cuts way down on prep time, and it offers uniformly cut fruits and veggies.
I like to break out the Veg-o-Matic Deluxe when I have a big chopping task ahead of me that calls for precision. For example, a couple weeks ago it was my turn to bring snacks for the soccer team… so I turned to my Veg-O-Matic Deluxe to quickly make orange wedges for a team of 12. I chopped a large bag of 20 oranges in about 4 minutes – that would have normally taken a good 30 minutes with a knife. I also love to use the Veg-0-matic Deluxe for making pies! Quickly chop; apples, peaches, strawberries or pears for a delicious fruit pie.
But I have to share my favorite way to use the Veg-o-Matic Deluxe… french fries! Using the Julienne blade, you can make perfect restaurant-style fries in seconds. Getting 5-6 large potatoes cut into fries takes forever with a knife, and you almost never get them perfectly sliced. If I owned this Veg-o-Matic Deluxe for nothing other than french fries, it would be worth it to me…
I wanted to share a fun french fry recipe with you. If you love pickles, this recipe is for you! For a great way to make use of that left-over pickle juice, simply marinate your cut potatoes in the juice for 3-12 hours. (The longer you leave them marinating, the stronger the flavor)
TIP- If you like this recipe use our newly added YUMMLY button to easily save this recipe to your Yummly recipe box. Yummly is a great tool to keep your recipes organized all in one place.
- 5-6 large russet potatoes
- 2-3 jars of dill pickle juice- use juice that you like
- distilled white vinegar
- Fresh water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Frying oil
Pickle fry dipping sauce (mix together)
• 3/4 cup mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• Pinch cayenne pepper
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 small dill pickle, minced
1. Wash and trim about 1/4 inch off one end of your potatoes.
2. Using your Veg-o-Matic Deluxe fitted with the julienne blade, place one potato onto the blade at a time. Press down onto lid to quickly slice into perfect fries.
3. Place fries into bowl and top with pickle juice. Be sure to add all the spices from the juice as well. If your juice does not cover the fries, add equal parts distilled white vinegar and water to completely submerge your fries. Allow fries to soak up those yummy pickle flavors for at least 3 hours and up to 12 hours.
4. Remove fries from juice and pat dry.
5. Carefully fry in hot oil over stove until golden brown.
Click here to print
Watch the Video:
Chef Paja-Dejur Sanchez