One of the absolutely best things to do with leftover homemade rotisserie chicken is to make chicken salad sandwiches. Chicken salad is so versatile, whether it is traditional with onions and celery, Waldorf with grapes and walnuts or curried chicken salad, it is always a fantastic way to elevate chicken and make a whole new meal out of leftover rotisserie chicken.
Whenever I roast a chicken in my Ronco Rotisserie I always like to make two chickens instead of one just for the leftovers. Leftover rotisserie chicken will hold in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and can even be frozen for future use. With leftover rotisserie chicken in the fridge you always have a quick lunch or dinner solution.
I wanted to share my recipe for Italian Pesto Chicken Salad Sandwiches. This recipe is a fun easy way to kick up the chicken salad sandwich and give it an Italian twist.
- 3 cups leftover shredded rotisserie chicken
- ½ cup minced celery
- ¼ cup minced purple onions
- 1 tablespoon of pine nuts
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons store-bought pesto
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Fresh mozzarella, 16 slices
- 8 slices of fresh ripe tomatoes
- 1 loaf of fresh French bread, sliced into 4 equal portions and sliced open for sandwiches
- In a small bowl thoroughly mix together mayonnaise and pesto sauce with a fork
- In a medium mixing bowl combine shredded chicken, celery, onions, and pine nuts. Stir in pesto mayo and thoroughly stir to combine.
- Season chicken salad with juice of ½ lemon, salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Equally distribute pesto chicken salad onto 4 French bread portions.
- Top with 4 slices of fresh mozzarella and 2 slices of tomato.
Pack these and some chips and now you’re summer picnic ready!
Chef Paja-Dejur Sanchez