If you haven’t tried quinoa by now this recipe is a good place to start. Quinoa is one of those foods that we call a superfood, and for good reason. It is packed with protein, fiber and amino acids.
Quinoa is actually a seed (not a grain) that originated in the Andean Mountain region of Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and Colombia and has been part of the native diet for up to 7000 years. Aside from the great nutritional benefits one of the reasons I love to cook with quinoa is that it is gluten-free. I love to use it as a binding ingredient instead of breadcrumbs in my recipes for meatloaf, burgers or meatballs.
I use the Ready Grill to make these protein packed low calorie burgers. It means not having to add any extra unwanted calories with cooking oil. At only 205 calories per patty, go ahead and make a meal out of two or assemble them as a burger as in the recipe following.
Turkey and Quinoa and Hummus Burgers
This recipe is high in protein and low in fat and sugar and comes in at just 427 calories per serving
- 1 pound ground turkey meat
- 1 cup precooked quinoa
- ¼ cup finely chopped purple onion
- 1 tsp (5 ml), Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 servings of 100 calorie thin bread
- 4 tablespoons of garlic hummus
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slice purple onion
- 4 romaine leaves
1. In a medium mixing bowl combine ground turkey, onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, tomato paste, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix ingredients together completely incorporating the meat and seasonings. Stir in quinoa and use hands to combine all ingredients.
2. Preheat Ready Grill, Form 5 burgers by hand. Grill in Ready Grill for 14-16 minutes.
3. Serve on a 100 calorie bun with 2 tablespoons of garlic hummus spread and garnish with lettuce, tomato, and onion.
For more information on the benefits of quinoa, check out this article,
7 Benefits of Quinoa the Supergrain of the Future:
Hope you enjoy this healthy recipe featuring the superfood, quinoa!
Chef Paja-Dejur Sanchez