Happy 2016! I hope your holiday season was full of celebration and joy.
As I wrap up all the holiday decorations and think about this new year, my thoughts turn to a healthier 2016. There’s nothing wrong with celebrating during the holiday season and enjoying fantastic, delicious, rich foods. But now that it’s a new year, the time has come to focus on a healthier way of eating so that I can lose some of those holiday pounds. This meal prep idea featuring two big cuts of London broil is lean and delicious. London broil is the leanest cut of beef that you can find readily available at your local supermarket. It has only 168 cal for 4 ounces and a whopping 24 g of protein. The London Broil cut of meat is the top round roast cut into a steak rather than a roast. If you can’t find a cut of London Broil ask your butcher to cut one for you.
The trick to cooking a successful London broil is marinating it. Due to the low fat content of this cut, marinating will help keep it flavorful and juicy. After marinating, quickly sear it or grill it for best results. I find that the Ronco Ready Grill is a perfect way to cook a London Broil, it cooks both sides of the steak evenly and any excess fat or oil from the marinade will drip off into the drip pan.
For me, healthy eating is all about thinking ahead and meal prep. That’s why I love to take two big pieces of London Broil and cook them up in my Ronco Ready Grill. Then, I have extra on hand to make healthy quick meals. London Broil is perfect for salads, wraps, alongside eggs, with grilled vegetables, in sandwiches and in quick soups. So if you’re trying to incorporate lean, healthy proteins into your diet this New Year, try the London Broil in your Ready Grill. Marinate it for 4 to 24 hours, then grill it in the Ready Grill for about 25-30 minutes for 2 ½-3 pounds of beef. And don’t forget to use your leftovers to create quick, healthy delicious meals.
For this recipe I went with an Asian marinade. I used two 1 to 1 ½ pound pieces of London Broil to make plenty of beef for meal prep for my family of four.
½ cup of low sodium soy sauce
1 cup orange juice
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Sriracha
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
1. Whisk together all the marinade ingredients in mixing bowl.
2. Place London Broil into marinade. Marinate in refrigerator turning occasionally for at least 4 or up to 24 hours.
3. When ready to grill remove London Broil from refrigerator and place on counter top for around 30 minutes allowing it to come closer to room temperature.
4. Preheat Ready Grill for 5 to 8 minutes before cooking. I like to preheat my Ready Grill with the grill insert inside the machine. For large cuts of meat like this, it makes the grill marks more pronounced.
5. Place both pieces of London Broil on Ready Grill insert alternating the thickest area of the cuts of beef to allow even cooking.
6. Grill London Broil in Ready Grill for 25 to 30 minutes or until an instant read thermometer registers at 125° at the thickest spot of both steaks for medium rare.
7. Allow steaks to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. To serve London Broil cut at a 45° angle across the grain into thin slices.
Check out the Asian Beef Salad that I made with my London Broil!
To make this quick lean Asian Beef Salad, serve 4 oz of your London Broil on top of rice noodles with cucumber, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, bean sprouts and cilantro.
Healthy, delicious food made easy!
Chef Paja-Dejur Sanchez