This simple dessert literally takes 10 minutes to prepare in your Ready Grill from start to finish, yet your guests will think you spent the whole day in the kitchen because it looks so elegant.
Using the word simple in reference to cooking can be misconstrued for not tasty, sloppy, and unrefined… not true. Simple, when cooking, can mean that just the right ingredients were allowed to shine. That’s why I love the following recipe for Grilled Sponge Cake and Figs with Marcona Almonds and Sour Cream Sauce.
Grilling does magic to both the Sponge Cake (making it crispy on the outside and airy on the inside) and the figs by bringing out their natural sweetness.
Plus, today is National Nut Day… so what’s not to celebrate by enjoying this recipe with Marcona Almonds, a variety of almonds from Spain. Marcona Almonds are sweeter than the variety we typically see and have no skin.
• store bought sponge cake, slice off 4 wedges to serve 4
• coconut oil spray
• 4 ripe figs, sliced in ½. I used brown turkey but any variety will do. (*hint when choosing Brown Turkey Figs the deeper the brown the sweeter they are)
• ½ Marcona almonds 3.5 oz. whipped cream cheese
• ¼ cup sour cream
• 2 tablespoons heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
• ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
• drizzle of honey
• mint for garnish (optional)
2. Spray Figs and sponge cake with coconut oil. Set timer for 5 minutes.
3. While Figs and cake are grilling, make sour cream dessert sauce. With hand mixer, whip together whipped cream cheese and sour cream until combined. Add in heavy cream and beat for additional 30 seconds on high. Turn down mixer to low and add in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla, beat to incorporate, about 20 seconds.
4. To serve, place one piece of grilled cake on plate, top with 2 pieces of grilled fig. Add a dollop of sour cream sauce and a sprinkling of Marcona Almonds. Finish with a drizzle of honey. Serve Warm.