One of my go-to dinners is rotisserie chicken. It’s a family favorite too. And it is so easy to make a tender, flavorful rotisserie chicken in the Ronco Rotisserie Oven. Rotisserie chicken is also so versatile. There are so many flavor variations to choose from like BBQ, lemon-pepper, herbed, Asian spiced or southwestern. The list goes on and on.
I wanted to share one of my favorite flavors with you, Mojo. Mojo is a delicious sauce and marinade originating from the Caribbean. Different islands have different takes on this sauce, but this is my favorite version from Cuba. Cubans use Mojo as a sauce and marinade for all kinds of meats and vegetables. I think you’ll enjoy the tangy citrus and garlic flavors that this marinade adds to your next rotisserie chicken.
Mojo-Marinated Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 large roasting chicken
- 1-2 small to medium yellow onions, sliced
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of one lime
- cups fresh juiced orange juice (6 large navel oranges)
- 1 cup fresh lime juice (8 limes)
- 10-12 garlic cloves (juiced in a juicer, or finely chopped)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh oregano (chopped)
- 2 tsp cumin (roasted if you have it)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh cracked pepper
Helpful Hint: I used my Ronco Smart Juicer to make fresh orange lime and garlic juice. If you don’t happen to have one it’s perfectly fine to hand squeeze your juice and finely chop your garlic.
- Chop your onion. Zest one orange and one lime then add to a bowl.
- Top onion mixture with orange juice, lime juice and garlic. Add olive oil, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper then stir to mix. Remove a cup of the prepared marinade and set aside to serve as a finishing sauce for your chicken.
- In a freezer bag, marinate chicken for at least one hour. For intense flavor, marinate chicken overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on your rotisserie spit. Truss your chicken by using a food ties so that the wings and legs are secured to the body. This keeps them from touching the heating elements as the bird rotates in the rotisserie.
- Cook according to your rotisserie directions; 15 min per pound or until the internal temperature reaches 165º F. If you don’t have meat thermometer you can test for doneness with a knife making sure all the juices run clear. When cooked, let your chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before carving.