Nothing is better than BBQ chips. But who wants to feel guilty about enjoying such salty, crispy goodness? I don’t! That’s why I love this cool microwave chip maker from Ronco®. The Chip-Tastic™ lets you to make crispy, delicious, homemade chips in the microwave with zeroadded oil and fat! You can make crispy homemade potato chips, kale chips, tortilla chips, even fruit crisps without adding any extra calories.
These sweet potato chips are a perfect fall snack. The best part is you know exactly what ingredients and spices you use and there’s no frying in hot, messy, fattening oil. There’s also no chemicals or preservatives. But you still get all of the crunch, flavor and nutritional benefits and no extra calories or guilt!
Sweet potatoes are great anytime of year but certainly add to the festive fall mood. Loaded with good nutrition, these sweet potato chips are a must-try for a hearty fall snack.
1-2 sweet potatoes
Homemade BBQ Spice:
2 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1-teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon ground ginger powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Mix together all of the spices. This recipe is for more than you need to season your chips, but this BBQ spice will keep for 6 months in your cabinet.
Tasty Tip: Add the left over BBQ spice to some sour cream, throw in some fresh chives and you have a quick, homemade dip for your chips.
2. Slice your sweet potatoes with the Slice-o-Matic™ Food Slicer included with your Chip-Tastic™.
3. Soak sweet potatoes in cold water for 3-5 minutes. This step is optional, but it releases the starch and therefore some calories from the potato as well.
4. Lay out sweet potato slices on paper towels and pat dry.
5. Sprinkle sweet potato slices with your homemade BBQ spice.
6. Gently fold and load the Chip-Tastic™ with your seasoned sweet potato slices.
7. Place the Chip-Tastic™ in the microwave and cook for about 3-5 minutes. Microwaves vary greatly so the best way to know when your chips are done is by sight. Also if your slices are really thick, you may need to cook them longer. The sweet potatoes should just start to look a little browned but of course not burned. If your sweet potatoes are not ready add 30 seconds at a time. When done, remove them from the microwave and let them cool and crisp up for 1-2 minutes.
Voila! My guilt-free, crispy, healthy snack!