This beautiful blood orange colored juice is both sweet and spicy and will leave you feeling refreshed.
Recently, scientists have been studying and linking whole body inflammation to a host of debilitating diseases. Yuck, right? The scary stuff… like Alzheimer’s, diabetes, heart disease, obesity and cancer. It sounds like something we should be paying attention to. So what is whole body inflammation and what causes it?
In a nutshell, just like when you cut or injure your skin or get a sore throat your body responds by trying to heal itself and floods the injured area with white blood cells. These white blood cells cause the area that was injured to become red, hot and inflamed. This is a natural and good immune response. Whole body inflammation is when your body’s natural immune response gets over-stimulated and goes haywire… then kicks into overdrive. In essence, your body is constantly swollen and inflamed on the inside. You can’t see the red, hot swollenness… but you feel it. When your body is inflamed you feel tired, sore, bloated, achy, suffer from a foggy mind and have a general feeling of un-wellness.
So what causes our bodies to respond like this and go into immune response over drive? Well the main cause is a diet filled with too much of the wrong stuff. Wrong stuff like prepackaged processed foods and too little of the good stuff like fresh fruits and vegetables.
Over time, replacing processed foods high in saturated fats, white flour and sugar with a wide variety of healthier foods including plenty of fruits and vegetables will decrease this inflammation and lower the risk of developing disease. That’s why I came up with this recipe for the Anti-Inflammatory Summer Cooler. Juicing with the Ronco Juicer is a fantastic way to load up on the micro nutrients from fruits and veggies that most of us are missing. Juicing is also a great way to incorporate super healthy roots in to your diet that you wouldn’t eat out of hand like Ginger and Turmeric.
Yields approx. 10 Cups of Juice
• 5.5 to 6 Pound ripe watermelon (the riper it is, the more potent the anti-inflammatory lycopene is)
• 1 ounce Organic Mint-stems
• ½ ounce peeled Ginger (about the size of a quarter)
• ½ ounce peeled Turmeric (about the size of a quarter)
• 1 Large Organic Cucumber approx. 12 ounces
• 1 cup Apple Cider vinegar for washing produce
1. In a large bowl, combine about 8 cups cold water and 1 cup apple cider vinegar to make a wash for your produce. Soak all the ingredients in apple cider vinegar… wash for 2-5 minutes and rinse under faucet. The apple cider vinegar removes pesticides and waxes. (When juicing, it is best to buy organic fruits and vegetables and wash them well before juicing.)
2. Cut Watermelon and cucumber into long ½ inch strips that will fit into your Ronco Juicer. (Leave the Watermelon Rind and seeds intact- the seeds contain iron, zinc, protein, and fiber and the rind has more Citrulline than the pink flesh)
3. With a knife or hand peeler, peel the Ginger and Turmeric and cut into ¼ inch slices
4. Get Ready to Juice. Have a larger pitcher ready- Insert Watermelon, Cucumber, Turmeric, Ginger and Mint into your Ronco Juicer, empting your fill cup into pitcher as needed.
5. Serve Chilled
Your Anti-Inflammatory Summer Cooler will stay fresh and tasty for 2 days in your refrigerator, stir each time before serving.
Since we are talking health, I thought I would give you a brief overview of the health benefits of each ingredient in this recipe.
• Watermelon is hydrating at up to 92 percent water
• Supports Cardiovascular & Bone Health
• Reduces Body Fat (The Amino Acid Citrulline in watermelon has been shown to reduce the accumulation of fat in our fat cells)
• Anti-inflammatory and Antioxidant Support (The carotenoid lycopene in watermelon is exceptionally beneficial in reducing inflammation and neutralizing free radicals)
• Watermelon provides diuretic and kidney support
• Immune Support, Wound Healing and Prevents Cell Damage
• The vitamin C content in watermelon is astoundingly high
• Watermelon is BOTH a fruit and a vegetable
• Supports Muscles and Nerves
• Rich in potassium
• Improves Eye Health
• Watermelon is a wonderful source of beta-carotene
• Assists in digestion
• Aids an upset stomach and indigestion
• Reduces Colic
• Relieves Allergic Rhinitis (Hay Fever)
• Reduces Muscle Pain and inflammation
• Freshens Bad Breath
• Has Respiratory Benefits
• Relieves Headaches
• The Therapeutic Benefits of Ginger have been known for over 2000 thousands years
• Ginger has antibacterial, antiviral, antioxidant, and anti-parasitic properties
• Ginger Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties That May Rival Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
• Ginger has even been found to be as effective as ibuprofen in relieving pain from menstrual cramps in women.
• Aids in digestion
• Alleviates nausea
• Boosts metabolic rate
• Help prevent ulcers
• Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. Curcumin is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory Compound, it is so powerful that it matches the effectiveness of some anti-inflammatory drugs
• Increases the Antioxidant Capacity of the body
• Improve Brain Function and a Lower Risk of Brain Diseases
• Arthritis Patients Respond Very Well to turmeric supplementation
• Studies Show That Turmeric Has impressive benefits against depression
• Enhances liver function
• Cucumbers are a good source of; vitamin K, B vitamins, copper, potassium, vitamin C, and manganese, and beta-carotene
• Protects Your Brain
• Fights Inflammation
• Has Antioxidant Properties
• Freshens Your Breath
• Manages Stress
• Supports Your Digestive Health
• Helps to maintain a Healthy Weight
• Supports Heart Health
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.